5. Vegan Lemon Poppy Cake
If you feel that dairy products are not good for you, then try baking vegan cakes, which can be pretty healthy.
They´re also healthy in the sense of being good for people who have allergies to dairy products or eggs.
Lemon and poppy seeds makes a really interesting combination as well.
• 3 lemons
• 1 1/4 cups nondairy creamer
• 2 2/3 cups flour
• 2 tbsp poppy seeds
• 3 tsp baking soda
• 3/4 tsp salt
• 3/4 cup vegan margarine, softened
• 2 cups sugar
• Egg replacer for 3 eggs
• 1/2 tsp vanilla
• Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
Lightly grease then flour 2 9-inch square or round cake pans.
• Grate 4 teaspoons of lemon rind and squeeze 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice.
Combine the lemon juice with the nondairy creamer and set aside.
• Combine the flour, poppy seeds, baking soda, and salt and set this aside.
• With an electric mixer at medium speed, beat the vegan margarine with the sugar and grated lemon rind for 5 minutes.
Beat in the egg replacer and the vanilla.
• Reduce the speed of the electric mixer to low and beat in the flour mixture one-third at a time, alternating with one-third of the creamed mixture at a time.
Beat until smooth.
• Pour the batter into the prepared cake pans.
Bake for 30 minutes until a toothpick stuck in the center comes out clean.