6. Fruit-Filled Chocolate Meringues
Obviously, any recipe that uses sugar is not the healthiest, but the advantage of meringues is that they use egg whites rather than the whole egg.
What also makes this a healthy cake recipe is that low-fat fromage frais is substituted for cream.
Plus there´s fruit in the form of cherries, although make sure you rinse off the sugary syrup.
• 4 egg whites
• 1 pinches salt
• 225 g golden caster sugar
• 1 tsp cornflour
• 0.5 tsp vanilla extract
• 1 tsp white wine vinegar
• 25 g cocoa powder
• 425 g tinned cherries, in syrup in syrup
• 200 g low-fat fromage frais
• Preheat the oven to 140c/gas 1.
Whisk the egg whites with a pinch of salt until very stiff.
Gradually add the sugar to make a stiff shiny mixture.
Stir together the corn flour, vanilla and vinegar and whisk in.
Sift over the cocoa then whisk in.
• Spoon twelve oval shapes onto two baking sheets lined with silicone or teflon paper.
Bake for 45 minutes until the outer shell is crisp, but the centre still feels a little soft.
Carefully peel off the paper and leave to cool.
• Meanwhile, drain the cherries, pouring the syrup into a small saucepan.
Bring the syrup to the boil and bubble rapidly for 7-8 minutes until thick.
Set aside to cool.
• Stir the cherries into the fromage frais.
Spoon the mixture onto six of the meringues and then drizzle over the thickened syrup.
Cover with the remaining meringue halves and serve.