4. A Lazy Fried Egg and Cheese Sandwich...
Are you drooling on your keyboard yet?!
Does this not look like the most amazing fried egg sandwich ever;
who wouldn't love a warm, gooey, cheesy lunch like this one!
Well perhaps those who don't love cheese as much as I do...like my daughter, I still cannot believe it myself!
This recipe is called, "A Lazy Fried Egg and Cheese Sandwich" because it's so easy to make that even a lazy cook could make it!
• An English muffin or two slices bread of your choice
• 1 to 2 teaspoons butter or oil
• 1 egg
• Salt and pepper
• 1 slice of cheese or a tiny pile of grated or crumbled cheese
• Spoonful of sliced scallions, chives, crumbled bacon, or whatever else you want in your eggs
• "Put the bread in a toaster.
Heat a 9-inch skillet, preferably nonstick, on medium.
• Beat one egg with ½ teaspoon water (or two eggs, with 1 teaspoon water), a couple pinches of salt and a few grinds of black pepper until just blended.
I always use a fork for this.
• Melt butter in your pan or brush it with oil, to thinly coat it.
Pour in the eggs and roll them around so they cover the pan, as a thin crepe would.
• Immediately plop a square of cheese (for we people with unfancy tastes in cheese) or a small pile of grated cheese (for everyone else) in the middle.
Toss whatever fixings you wish on top of the cheese, though I never bother.
This meal is all about immediacy for me.
• A single egg will cook in 1 to 1½ minutes;
two eggs in 2 minutes.
You'll know its cooked when poking into it with a corner of your spatula won't cause any loose egg to slip through to the skillet.
• Fold the part of the egg closest to you over the cheese, like the first part of a business letter fold.
Repeat this on the three remaining "sides," forming a small square.
You can also have fun (yes, I just said "fun") here and fold it into a shape that matches your bread, i.e.
larger for sandwich bread, long-ish for rye.
Leave the folded egg-and-cheese in the center of the skillet to cook for another 30 seconds, then slide onto you muffin or toast.
Top the sandwich with the other half and eat it at once."
Source: A Cup of Jo